Rather than the usual doom-and-gloom Earth Day posts, I thought I’d highlight a few of my favorite earth-friendly companies and products this week. Sure, fast food is rarely a smart choice, but as busy parents, it’s virtually impossible not to give in to the lure of a quick and sure-to-please meal. Two of my favorite healthier fast food picks are Chipotle and Chicken Out.
I love that Chipotle:
- Serves only naturally-raised pork, and is investing heavily in bringing local pork producers on board;
- Serves as many organic beans as it can find (30% currently);
- Buys rBGH-free sour cream;
- Is steadily increasing its sourcing of naturally-raised chicken and beef;
- At many locations, recycles beverage bottles;
- Makes quesadillas for kids (an off-the-menu secret) and salads for the parents that give you the taste of a burrito with out quite as many calories.
And at Chicken Out (a local chain, similar to Boston Market):
- Serves all-natural, free-farmed local chicken;
- Sides include kid-friendly faves like chunky applesauce, sweet potatoes, and sesame-ginger green beans.