Fresh from the Market, DC
One of the primary reasons I started this blog was to log our farmers market and CSA-fresh produce finds and the recipes we use them in, and I enjoy reading what others make with their farm fresh produce to get new ideas each week. Eat.Drink.Better has a weekly compilation from around the country. FarmtoPhilly is a wonderful, informative and inspirational local foods site from just up north. I thought I would check out some DC-area food bloggers and see what they’ve been making lately. Not surprisingly, strawberries, rhubarb and asparagus are the hot ingredients.
- The Houndstooth Gourmet posts weekly updates full of luscious photos of her weekly market finds, usually visiting two markets each week. This week, she made a lovely Balsamic Strawberry & Rhubarb Cobbler. I’ve always found balsamic a great way to bring out the sweetness of strawberries.
- Counter Intelligence recreated Buzz Bakery Josh Short’s Strawberries with Angelfood Cake and Virginia Honey Ice Cream – we enjoyed this at the recent SlowFood DC dinner as well and loved the honey ice cream.
- For something a little more exotic, the Food Scribe made a Chicken & Cardoon Tagine with cardoons (a relation of the thistle, apparently) from the Dupont FreshFarm Market.
- Eat & Smile shares recipes for garlic scapes found last week at the Dupont market; I can’t wait to try pickled scapes!
- Not from a DC market, but Cookthink’s Brys brought back local peas from Birmingham, AL, for this appetizing Whole Wheat Penne with Feta, Peas, Tomato and Basil.
- It’s not homemade, but Metrocurean shares a photo of a tasty-looking Buttermilk Pecan Pie from the 14th & U Farmers Market.
- One last recipe, in preparation for this weekend’s many strawberry festivals, a classic Strawberry Shortcake from the District Domestic.
* Fresh from the Farmers Market badge courtesy of A Veggie Venture.