FarmFreshDC, September – Apples + Squash
September is a wonderful month at our local markets, with tomatoes and peaches mingling with winter squash, sweet potatoes, the return of salad greens (arugula!), and sweet, crisp apples. Now that we’ve roasted, salsa-ed, gazpachoed, and preserved a gazillion tomatoes, we’re embracing fall and highlighting a few DC-area bloggers who are making the most of the season’s fresh produce.
One of my favorite squash vendors, Three Way Farm at the Del Ray Market, reports that summer zucchini is winding down fast with the shortening days. I shredded and froze a few more pounds today, and am ready to embrace butternuts, spaghetti, acorns and all the other winter squash that add serious heft to my fall market basket…
- The Arugula Files makes a Italian Sausage, Arugula & Squash Soup, with butternut squash.
- Dish-trict shares Brown Rice with Butternut Squash, Wild Mushrooms & Salami.
- And I made grilled butternut spears, getting the most out of our grill while it’s still warm.
“Appy? appy” need an appy!” is a frequent refrain in our house these days. Aside from the stash of little delicious, honey crisp and such we keep on hand for snacking, I buy some of the bigger, tarter varieties for cooking. (Jonagold and Matsu this weekend, from D&S Farms at Del Ray.)
- Tiffany at The Garden Apartment perfects the Apple Pie, with Jonathan apples from Bigg Riggs.
- Capital Cooking’s Lauren shares an Apple Crisp recipe, for those who want to skip the crust.
- I made a savory Apple Celery Soup, with Bigg Riggs’ lovely Rambo apples.
- And for still more apple ideas, check out Everyday Food’s Apple Fest round-up.
Of course it’s not all squash and apples, check out a few other seasonal ideas.
- Sylvie, the Rappahannock Cook’s Upside Down Plum Spice Cake, with Italian blue plums.
- The Food Scribe’s Lemon Cucumbers & Beets, with fun heirloom cucumbers from Evensong Farm.
- Everyone seems to be pickling these days, and The Slow Cook offers Pickled Okra (one of quite a few pickle recipes he’s posted).
- Grape & Goat Cheese Pizza from Food Rockz Man.
- Speaking of grapes, Ramona at Houndstooth Gourmet made an eye-catching Gorgonzola Cheese Blintz with Concord Grape Sauce. Yum!
We will be participating in the Eat Local Challenge for the month of October, so check back for updates & we’ll see you October 24 for the next FarmFreshDC round-up.