The nice thing about Meatless Monday falling on a Monday is that it’s good incentive to eat something lighter after the heavy foods typically eaten on a weekend. Particularly a weekend such as ours, with two toddler birthday parties = pizza for lunch and dinner and way too much birthday cake. In the summer I often have a smoothie for lunch on Mondays just to detox from all the carbs I seem to stockpile on the weekends. And if the weekend was too busy for shopping, well, what better excuse to raid the pantry and clear out some pasta or grains, canned beans, and any of last week’s vegetables still languishing in the crisper.
It also helps to have a ready list of fall-back recipes, as the last thing I want to do on a Monday evening is scramble to come up with something new to cook. So I scanned through the FoodieTots archive for a list of meatless — or easily adapted — recipes:
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Roasted Red Peppers
- Baked Ziti with Carrots and Kale (omit the sausage)
- Organic Carrot Risotto (use vegetable stock instead of chicken)
- Sweet Cherry Coconut Kugel
- Roasted Tomato Pappardelle
- Zucchini Tagliatelle Alfredo
- Asparagus Chive Quiche
- Curried Squash Stew
- Creamy Lima Beans
- Apricot and Pepita Quinoa
What meatless recipe have you enjoyed lately?