As a featured contributor for The Mushroom Channel, I created these portobello pizzas on the grill — they’re fast, fresh and easy to make with the kids. Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
Recipe originally published on The Mushroom Channel.
Recipe: Grilled Portobello Pizzas (Smiley Face Optional)
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella and/or 2 ounces crumbled feta
- fresh basil leaves
- sliced black olives
- sea salt and black pepper
- Gently clean portobellos with a damp paper towel. Trim the stems with a paring knife and use a spoon to scrape the dark brown gills from the underside of the cap. (Tip: Save the stems and gills to make mushroom stock.)
- Arrange the sauce, cheeses and topping in small bowls and line them up on a work surface.
- Brush the underside of the caps with olive oil and grill, oiled side down, for 3 to 4 minutes over a medium-high flame.
- Place the caps on the work surface, cooked side facing up, and if desired season with salt and pepper. Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of sauce around the cap. Go easy on the sauce as the mushrooms will give off liquid when they cook, and too much sauce can make them soggy. Sprinkle with cheese to cover, then add optional toppings if desired such as black olives, fresh basil leaves and green pepper.
- Gently place back on the grill (toppings facing up) and cook another 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.