At Market: 4 Ingredient Kale Salad
Hopefully by now you’ve consumed the last of your Thanksgiving leftovers, and perhaps you’ve already plunged head first into holiday baking. Me, I need a little time to detox, especially as I’m still coming off the dairy binge that was my November visit to Wisconsin. And there’s no better way to cleanse your diet than with this super simple massaged kale salad. (Look for kale at the farmers markets — it’s one of the heartier greens that can be grown after weaker varieties have called it quits for the winter.)
I’d seen massaged kale salads around the web, and a similar marinated kale version, but it was my friend Jill’s kale with apple salad that finally prodded me to make it. I started simple with just the four basic ingredients — salt, olive oil, lemon juice, and Lacinato kale — and proceeded to devour the entire bowl. Well that’s not entirely true, I had some competition from the foodie bebe. I don’t know if it was the bright green color that drew her in, but each time I’ve made this now she slurps it down like pasta. (She even had three helpings while sick with a cold this past weekend — hooray vitamin C!) We haven’t even branched out yet to add fruit or cheese. We also haven’t shared with the boy or kale-and-tofu-fearing husband yet, so I don’t know if the kale-salad love is limited to those without a Y chromosome. Let me know if you’ve shared it with the men in your life. For now, it’s our little girls’ lunch secret.
Recipe: Four Ingredient Massaged Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale, Lacinato or curly preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Rinse the kale and spin or pat dry. Cut the leaves off the stems and then into thin 1/4-inch ribbons.
- Place in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Massage the salt into the kale for two minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Toss dressing with the massaged kale and let stand five minutes before serving.
Serves 1 to 4, depending on your family’s love for kale.
More kale salad variations from around the web:
- Massaged Kale Salad Three Ways at Frog Bottom Farm
- Jill’s Apple Kale Salad at Heavy Table
- Raw Tuscan Kale Salad at 101 Cookbooks
- Fully Loaded Kale Salad at Healthy. Happy. Life.
- Kale Salad with Fried Pear Chips at Food52