Jack O’ Lantern Grilled Cheese #KidsCookMonday
This was intended to be a quick post about a healthy and fun pre-Halloween lunch, but of course my six-year-old had other plans. Oh, he was amused enough by the first sandwich, but then he asked for a second. And then he said it wasn’t scary enough. So I told him the jack o’ lantern was saying “Boo!” — to which he replied that he needed to see the word bubble to believe it. You can see how that went below…
First, though, the recipe — though it’s pretty simple. Whole wheat sandwich bread, a touch of pumpkin butter, and a blend of shredded cheese. A large pumpkin cookie cutter shapes the sandwich, and small cookie cutters are used to cut out the face. The cheese does ooze through while cooking, though, so the face won’t look quite so perfect when you’re done. *I* think that adds to the charm, but it depends how tough your critics are…
Recipe: Jack O’Lantern Pumpkin Grilled Cheese
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 8 slices wheat bread
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a blend of cheddar and gouda)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin butter
- Cut bread into pumpkin shape. Use small cookie cutters to cut out a face in four of the slices.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium low heat.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin butter on the bottom slice of bread and place in pan. Cover with 1/4 cup shredded cheese and the face side of bread. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side until golden bread. Repeat with remaining slices of bread.
Note: Straight pumpkin puree can be substituted for the pumpkin butter — a good way to use up any leftover puree after baking.
And, as promised, here’s my first “Boo!”…
… but he said it had to be ON THE PUMPKIN to count. No pressure or anything.
Needless to say, next time he’ll be in charge of “carving” his own sandwich.