We took advantage of the unusually mild weather this past holiday weekend to finally check out the Delaplane Strawberry Festival in Virginia’s Fauquier County. The annual event is packed with old-fashioned family fun, from the cupcake walk and face painting to tug-of-war, potato sack races, hay rides and pony rides. There were food vendors and live music, too. There’s not much better than chowing down on crab cake sandwiches while the kids dance to bluegrass under a bright blue sky.
We capped the day off with strawberry sundaes. Unfortunately they’d sold out of fresh berries, and other local farms were struggling to keep up with demand over the busy weekend. Our cool spring has delayed our summer berries and fruits, but I hear there will be plenty of berries available by this coming weekend.
Whether you pick your berries at the farm or just pick them up at market, here’s a fun salsa recipe that incorporates the radishes that are also in season.
Recipe: Strawberry Radish Salsa
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup chopped radish
- 1 finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
1. In a small bowl, combine chopped strawberries, radish and green onion.
2. In an even smaller bowl, whisk together honey and vinegar until honey is dissolved. Pour mixture over strawberries and stir gently to combine.
3. Let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving.
That’s the view from Sky Meadows State Park, where the festival was held. Mark your calendars for Memorial Day weekend, 2014. We’ll see you there!
(As a reminder, here are some of our favorite places to pick strawberries in Northern Virginia — but remember to ALWAYS call first to confirm availability before you make the trip.)