As much as I love summer, I just adore the farmers market in September. Tomatoes, corn and summer squash share table space with autumn squash, beans and early apples for a few fleeting weeks of seasonal overlap. Of course, when temperatures are still in the 80s or even 90s here in DC, it’s nice to still have so many fresh ingredients for fast meals now that the kids are back in school.
To celebrate back-to-school season, we’re sharing a series of 6-second, 6-ingredient recipes for fast weeknight meals. That’s right Rachael Ray, I’ve seen your 30-minute meals and I think I can do it 29 minutes, 54 seconds faster. Okay, maybe not quite. But I can use my favorite Vine video app to show how to make a quick family meal — even if I can’t guarantee it can be done in 6 seconds. I hope you’ll still find it useful.
And, this one is meatless, too, as we join the new Meatless Monday blog hop hosted by Recipe Renovator. So go check that out for even more ideas — even if you have your meatless meals on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday …. going meatless occasionally can be another good way to shave time off your dinner prep.
Recipe: Braised Summer Squash with Chèvre
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 3-4 summer squash, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste concentrate
- 1/4 cup white wine
- several fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat butter or olive oil in sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Add squash and cook, turning occasionally, until soft and just beginning to brown.
- Add tomato paste concentrate and stir. Add white wine and cook another minute or two.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with torn basil, salt and pepper to taste. Crumble goat cheese over top and serve.