It’s hard to deny fall is here when the winter squash start arriving at the market. While I’m still buying zucchini as long as I can, I decided to ease into winter squash with delicata.
This small, striped squash is one of my favorites. The skin is edible, so it’s easy to prepare — especially when it’s used in a simple sheet pan supper with chicken. I was inspired by Bon Appetit‘s version with olives, although I don’t think I’ve ever made it with potatoes as they did. Instead I’ve used cubes of butternut squash or rings of delicata, as shown here.
And, I add my own secret ingredient — the brine from the olives, which brings all the flavors together. This is a great weeknight dinner recipe to have on hand, but it’s perfect for a busy weekend full of, say, back-to-back soccer games, too. I prefer using chicken thighs, but the kids are partial to drumsticks. Of course, you can get crazy and use both. The squash caramelizes in the juices from the chicken as it all roasts, and it smells delicious too. If you’ve never had roasted olives, you’re in for a treat. Their salty bite complements the sweet delicata squash. So good. I add a pinch of fresh thyme leaves before serving.
Recipe: Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken, Delicata Squash and Olives
- 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. chicken thighs/drumsticks
- 1 delicata squash
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives with brine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive brine
- sea salt
- fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut squash length-wise and remove seeds. Cut into 1/2-inch slices. Place squash slices and olives with brine in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread on large sheet pan.
- Add chicken pieces to the bowl. Rub with 1 tablespoon olive brine and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and add to the squash on the sheet pan.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes, turning once. Remove from oven and transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with fresh thyme and serve.
For more ways to savor fall flavors, check out A Guide to Apples plus Best Fall Recipes Ideas for #SundaySupper and this week’s recipe collection:
- Apple-Currant Dutch Baby Pancake by The Weekend Gourmet
- Apple Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread by Party Food and Entertaining
- Giant Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Appetizers and Sides
- Butternut Squash, Cauliflower and Cabbage Soup with Lentils by Monica’s Table
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins by Pancake Warriors
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Love and Confections
- Roasted Veggie Tart by Books n’ Cooks
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Roasted Veggies & Couscous by Momma’s Meals
- Butternut Squash Lentil Curry Soup by Food Done Light
- Curry Beef Pies by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Fantasy Rice by The Petit Gourmet
- King Prawns in Red Sauce – Mauritian Style Creole Sauce by Peachy Tales
- Pasta with Creamy Butternut & Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Pork Chops with Apple Dijon Sauce and Arugula Salad by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pork Chops with Glazed Apples and Vegetables by The Complete Savorist
- Quinoa and Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash by Feeding Big and More
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Bacon/Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich by A Gouda Life
- Salt Roasted Salmon over Roasted Butternut & Yam Soup by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken, Delicata Squash and Olives by Foodie Tots
- Sweet Potato French Bean Lentil Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet Potato Alfredo Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup by Eating in Instead
- Whole Roasted Chicken with Vegetables by Life Tastes Good
Desserts and Cocktails
- Apfelkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Applesauce Cake with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Swirls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Gingersnap Refrigerator Dessert by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Autumn Bellini by An Appealing Plan
- Autumn Spice Cookies by Desserts Required
- Caramel Apple Napoleons by The Crumby Cupcake
- Caramel Apple Pie Bundles by The Freshman Cook
- Caramel Apple Streusel Muffins by The Redhead Baker
- Caramel Apple Swirl Cheesecake No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chestnut and Pear Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Dark Chocolate-Espresso Pumpkin Tiramisu by Brunch with Joy
- Dutch Apple Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Butterscotch Drizzle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pumpkin Crisp by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pumpkin Pecan Bundt Cake by Flour On My Face
- Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Maple Pears by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Spiced Pear Cake by Simply Healthy Family
- Spiced Pumpkin Bread by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Sweet Apple Skillet Cake by Nosh My Way
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.