When last we surveyed the DC-area farmers market cooks, strawberries were center stage. Now that summer is heating up, we’ve been finishing off cherry and lettuce season, and tomatoes, squash, peaches and corn are on the horizon. It’s no surprise given DC’s steamy summers that the common theme this month seems to be refreshing salads. Here’s a look at what’s locally fresh right now:
- The Food Scribe shares a summery Sugar Plum, Salad and Sorrel Salad, with Licking Bend Creek Farms’ produce from the Historic Brookland Farmers Market (Tuesdays, 4-7pm).
- The Garden Apartment dishes up a fresh and colorful Summer Salad with Herb Vinaigrette, featuring beans, potatoes and tomatoes from the Foggy Bottom FreshFarm Market (Wednesdays, 2.30-7pm).
- Knitting 40 Shades of Green scored some early blackberries for her Salad with Fennel and Blackberries, with fennel from her Food Matters CSA (VA).
- Delicious served hot or cold, don’t miss the hot pink Summer Borscht by The Houndstooth Gourmet, featuring beets from the Kingstowne Market (Fridays, 4-7pm).
- With lots of fresh eggplant at market lately, ratatouille is also popping up on the local blogs. The Arugula Files tops this one with a pesto vinaigrette and local favorite FireFly Farms chevre.
- For those wondering how to cook okra at home (like me), The Slow Cook shares a Smothered Okra recipe with okra from the Chevy Chase Market (Saturdays 9am-1pm).
- There’s so much more than just cherries out there. Check out the Wineberry Tart by FoodRockz, with berries from the Dupont Circle FreshFarm Market (Sundays, 9am-1pm).
- And my recent Peachy Pork Quinoa Salad featured D&S Farm’s first peaches from the Del Ray Farmers Market (Saturdays, 8am-noon).
You’ll be amazed at the things these cooks have been doing with cherries and berries, so go check them out! (P.S. Some of you might want to check out the Sugar High Friday Berries round-up over at FoodBlogga; enter by Aug. 3 to be included.)
Join in for August! I’ve decided to make this a monthly feature. If you’re in the DC area and want to share what you’re cooking, leave a comment or email me at foodietots AT gmail DOT com. (Blog not necessary, but photos are encouraged!) Deadline for the August round-up will be Wednesday, August 13.
Looking for a farmers market near you? Check LocalHarvest.org. And to see what’s on the table in your area, check out the One Local Summer regional round-ups at FarmtoPhilly.
Like food? Help farmers! – Last week to comment and enter to win a free cookbook!